Home Pinner Village Servicemen's Names 

 

 

This page is dedicated to the many men that lost their lives serving their country, during the two World War’s. It's estimated that over 600 men from Pinner served during WW1 in some capacity or another. Those who died are remembered for ever on the War Memorial at the top of Pinner High Street, which was unveiled in 1921. The names of the commemorated servicemen are listed on 4 metal plates, one on each side of the memorial. A further plate was added at the end of the Second World War in 1945 stating that the memorial  was in remembrance of servicemen killed during WW2 and subsequent conflicts.

During and after the Second World War a ‘Pinner War Memorial Committee’ was formed, the objective being to purchase the ‘West House Estate’, as a Memorial Park which would in time become a living monument and open space for the people of Pinner to enjoy, this would also include a shrine housing a book of remembrance to the fallen of two world wars. Where Bridge Street and Marsh Road converged at the foot of the High Street stood the old red brick Parish Hall previously the school building. On the side of the building was the Village War Memorial Fund Indicator. In 1947 a book was published by the Pinner Association ‘Panorama of Pinner Village’ compiled by John W Ferry to benefit the Pinner war memorial fund. This was one of the many fund raising activities undertaken by either individuals or larger institutions, the sum of £15,000 pounds was required to purchase West House and the eight and a half acres of grounds.

 

Commemorative plates on the sides of the Memorial
     

To view the list of names on the memorial in alphabetical order click the "Servicemen's Names" button above. The list contains the servicemen's name, rank, number age, date of death, military theatre in which they died and the cemetery or memorial that commemorates their sacrifice.  

Source of information "Commonwealth War Graves Commission", and "Findmypast" military records

 

Additional Pinner War Memorial's

In the South transept of the Parish Church is a further war memorial. This was dedicated on November 2nd 1919 by three of the vicars who had served Pinner. The memorial consist's of an illuminated carved oak tablet and contains more than 60 names. The inscription reads: "These men gave their lives for God and Right and Liberty in the Great War, 1914-1919", and "To the Glory of Brave Men.". On the opposite wall is a painting of "The Great Sacrifice", which was presented by Mrs Edward Hogg in 1918, widow of church warden Edward Hogg 1887-1900.

The Lych Gate to St John's Church was erected in memory of all who served in the Great War, it was designed by J Daymond and Son of Vauxhall Bridge Road, London. Much of the retaining wall between the gate and the Lady Chapel was rebuilt by the church staff during the second war owing to it's dangerous condition in the blackout.

Source of information Edwin M Ware 'Pinner in the Vale'